Chris Taylor Reschedules June Meeting

May 29th, 2010 by Russell Leave a reply »

As I sat down to prepare for the Gungahlin Community Council (GCC) meeting I discovered Chris Taylor, Manager for Telstra Countrywide had rescheduled and will now meet with us on the 14th July.  He had originally agreed to attend the June meeting to discuss the recent newspaper articles which have been critical of Telstra’s current service. The announcement made by Alan Kerlin via the GCC Facebook page was slipped in on Monday the 24th of May.

He has accepted the invitation to the July the 14th meeting…if something else does not come up like it did for June.

If you were planing to come then you will have to wait another month to voice your dissatisfaction. I am disappointed it has been postponed, I was looking forward to meeting the man face to face to discuss the issues.

I hope this is only a one off situation but I am a bit skeptical. There are a number of planned upgrades for Crace Exchange listed on the Telstra Wholesale website and there could be more going on soon. I hope his appearance is not being timed with these upgrades to give the impression he is some sort of White Knight to our problems.

The last two documents on the Telstra Wholesale website (DSLAM Software Upgrade Planand DSLAM Backhaul Upgrade Plan) indicate some upgrades are being performed at some level but may not actually bring any change to the end user.

The Backhaul upgrade plan lists 13 entries related to Crace Exchange. The devices are listed as follows :

Exchange   DSLAM ID                  Date Complete

CRCF            QCRCFE4026S2

CRCF            QCRCFE4026S4

CRCF            QCRCFE4026S5

CRCF            QCRCFE4047S2    21-May-10

CRCF            QCRCFE4047S3    19-May-10

CRCF            QCRCFE4062M

CRCF            QCRCFE4064M

CRCF            QCRCFE4065M

CRCF            QCRCFE4072M

CRCF            QCRCFE7S2            28-May-10

CRCF            QCRCFE7S3            24-May-10

CRCF            QCRCFE7S7            26-May-10

CRCF            QCRCFE7S8

It is my opinion that the term backhaul used in for these upgrades are between the DSLAMs in Crace exchange and core network connections upstream. The reason I think this is the case is due to the device IDs not lining up with RIM/CMUX naming convention used in other Telstra Wholesale documents. Also the upgrade is for 13 devices which does not seem to align with the 75 RIM/CMUX in the area.

The Telstra documentation refers to DSLAM id, but users connected to RIM/CMUX devices don’t terminate ADSL on an exchange based DSLAM. ADSL is terminated on the RIM/CMUX itself and goes to the exchange on a shared backhaul connection. Some of the items listed have the same ID except for the last number in the sequence, this could mean each entry refers to the same device but different network interfaces or devices in the same location. I am only guessing of course but it is common for ISPs to use naming conventions based on location.

RIM/CMUX users can experience congestion on the RIM/CMUX itself as well as the backhaul between the RIM/CMUX and the exchange. It would appear neither of these parts of the infrastructure are being addressed. If they were there would be 75 entries in the document and Telstra vans everywhere.

If anyone can show their connectivity has been better over the past week then I would be interested to hear. I expect that no one really noticed any change at all.

I am still looking for more performance statistics and experiences from people affected. I am starting to gather quite a lot of information which adds weight to our argument that the service here is bad and it affects hundreds of people.

19 comments

1. Paul F says:

I could not say that it has gotten any better in the last couple of weeks. It is more a case that it has gotten more chaotic in the download speeds and latency. Even outside the normal peak hours I am getting dialup speeds!

2. Alan Kerlin says:

Russell, I think he wanted to get these upgrades in place before he fronts the meeting.
    He also wants to meet with us and you before the meeting.
    Meanwhile our ADSL 8Mbps service at Harrison is more pathetic than it has ever been, and worse than dial-up services I’ve had out bush.

3. Chris Taylor says:

Alan, you know that I offered to be available on an alternative night in June. June 10 would be fine. You told me that the meetings have to be on set nights & that it couldn’t be changed. I am definitely happy to bring the meeting into June……prior to any upgrades being in place.

4. Ryan says:

I’d be happy to attend any such meeting earlier this month – given Telstra’s response over the past three to five years, you’ll understand out skepticism,

5. Mitchell Clarke says:

Hi Chris,

For a bit of background, I’m an Electrical Engineering student in my final year and moved to Palmerston in December. I promptly hopped onto Transact’s Skydata service when I got knocked back for ADSL2+ and subsequently learnt that Gunghalin has terrible broadband and going with ADSL would have been luck of the draw for RIM congestion.

I’m just wondering if you could let Alan and the website know of your plans for the area? How you plan to rectify the problem? Increasing back-haul to RIMs to enable ADSL2+, Fibre, etc?

I think you’ll find the community is very eager to hear of the solution to our broadband problems :)

Cheers,
    Mitch

6. Daniel says:

Hi Russell, I noticed a drop in my connection sometime last week during the planned upgrades you mentioned, and since then, I’ve noticed my latency at peak hours has stayed the same (ping test to google is average 21ms).

I’m not sure if this is just some fluke of luck for myself, but it did coincide with the upgrades.

I am however, hoping it stays the way it is, despite still no access to ADSL2

cheers,

Daniel

7. Amy says:

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
    Mitch

8. Hanbo says:

Hey Rusell,

Clayton south is on Rim(Springvale exchange DA242) which suffering conjestion all the time. Please help us raise the voice to Telstra.

Cheers,
    Hanbo

9. Warren says:

if you read the telstra site the upgrades you mentioned are for …

“This report identifies when specific DSLAMs have undergone a backhaul upgrade to allow removal of shaping from 8 Mb/s DSL-L2IG Services.
    As of: 28/05/10.”

Published date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:30:00 +1000

10. Warren says:

I also think we should raise with the telstra rep why only a few select boxes have ADSL 2+ ports available on CRACE

you can see from

only
    CRACE ACT CRCF DA157 236
    CRACE ACT CRCF DA159 229
    CRACE ACT CRCF DA165 309

have ADSL2+ ports avaliable the other 50 or so do not… go figure …

11. Warren says:

ps im guessing our telstra rep could be on one of these servers given he thinks the internet is fabulous out here

12. Gerry says:

Yes Chris – of course there is nothing wrong with Telstra’s ADSL service – do you eat much sand while your head is buried in it?

I’m in Dunlop, off the Melba exchange (same problem as Gungahlin); here is some speedtest data from this week;

(Time, Down, Ping, Up)
    10/6
    2258 0.43 49m/s 0.11
    12/6
    0732 0.26 1392m/s 0.02
    0750 0.43 48m/s 0.11

13. richard says:

My ISP told me that I was connected to a congested DSLAM QCRCFE4047S2 which was upgraded 21 May, but no change at all in performance since that date.

I don’t rely on speed test as it can give reasonable numbers, only to see real world downloads at 200kb or lower on a 1500kb connection. It wouldn’t surprise me if the speed testing sites have been given a higher QOS so they get fewer complaints.

Low level packet tracing still indicates large number of dropped packets, therefore congestion still exists. Also speed varies at different times of day…congestion.

BTW have resorted to 3G (not Tel$ra) for anything I need in a hurry, about 10-15 time faster than ADSL.

14. richard says:

Tested a 400 MB download yesterday, 11 hours, thats a whopping 83 kbits on a 1500 kbits line. Given todays announcement of NBN delivering future services for Telstra, I now abandon hope of ever getting ADSL2. Four months of an unusable internet connection and I now am saying goodbye to copper for everything and hello to 3G.

15. Nick says:

Hi,

I think the upgrade has improved my net performance. It’s now 8pm on a Monday, and I’m getting the following ping times. I was previously getting in the order of 600-800ms to the ANU. I’m crossing my fingers, hoping that this is permanent!

Pinging http://www.l.google.com [150.101.98.211] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 150.203.1.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 65ms, Average = 40ms

16. Daniel says:

HI Russell

I live in North Watson on Antill street and have noticed some signicant improvements in my service over the past few weeks

I am on ADSL 1 (2 is not available) but I am now getting pings between 80-90m/s rather than the usual 700+. I get 30-40m/s during non-peak times.

Haven’t run any tests on download speeds as I am not to concerned about this. Use my internet more for gaming where latency is the issue.

Still not perfect but an improvement.

Also, thankyou for all your effort on this issue.

17. Michael says:

Hi Russell,

I also live in North Watson, and as of the last week (I think), I’ve finally got what looks like the “full potential” of my ADSL1 8Mbit connection.

I’m now getting 6500/325 in Speedtest, and that’s been the fastest I’ve ever achieved since getting ADSL in this area. When I originally joined, I only got 4.5Mbit, but that eventually downgraded itself to 3Mbit (or rather 1.5 during peak).

I haven’t measured ping response, just speed.

Michael.

P.S. I would love them to now upgrade the equipment to ADSL2+, but I shouldn’t be so greedy…

Trackbacks /